At school they offered me the possibility to be the Coordinator of Technology for the Teaching of English. This means implementing new technologies something I have always dreamt of doing.
Today I had my first meeting with the Director of Studies and the English Coordinator.
My idea is to incorporate Wikis, Blogs, , Podcasts etc. many of the things we learned in this great workshop.
Well I sat in front of the computer that was in the Director´s office and entered my wiki link. As I showed them all the aspects of the wiki I realized that the computer was very slow and it was not updated. Therefore I couldn´t open many blogs and my podcast. It was impossible to show them every single tool I created for the meeting which took me a lot of hard work to create.
The meeting started and the questions they made were the following:
- How can you be sure that students won´t write dirty stuff(this was the concept they used)
- Who manages and reads the blogs?
- Kids can never be left alone in the computer lab.
- What happens with students that don´t have a computer at home how can they follow your subject?
- If computers don´t work what will they do?
- You need to spend almost two months teaching how to use all the new tools and English practice will only be possible later in the year.?¡?¡?¡
- What´s a blog?
- What are yahoo groups?
- I want it to be exam oriented not to be an open classroom.
- You must correct every blog entry
- You must support the teacher and use technology as a means of allowing the teacher to improve her students practice for International exams
- What´s a wiki?
- What about assessment?
- There will be two students per computer how will they work?
- What´s a podcast? But we can´t incorporate them at school because we don´t have loud speakers.
- Plan your classes very well because if not it will all be a waste of time . My question what is the wiki for???
These are all the questions I can remember at the moment. I really, really hope all this time and effort is worth fighting for.
Which were the drawbacks you encountered when you tried to implement new teaching methods?